Does anyone else miss the easiness of the crock pot during Summer? Remember when you threw in your ingredients in the morning before work and came home to that ready to eat roast? There was zero cooking to do after a long day! A lot of us at Ellipse are morning people. Sometimes we are at the studio as early as 4:30 in the morning, which makes for a tired crew come evening.
Contrary to popular belief, the luxury of the slow cooker is not only a Wintertime tool! Check out these recipes to keep you out of the kitchen in the evenings and give you that time to spend outdoors! Don’t forget, as we always preach…these recipes are high in protein, and low in sugars! 🙂
Santa Fe Chicken Salad
This recipe comes from the authors Six Sisters’ Stuff and only takes 10 minutes to prep. Do this before work and you will be so happy that you did after a long day!
Slow Cooker Time: 6 Hours
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, not drained
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- 8 cups spinach or your favorite kind of lettuce
- 1 Avocado
- Place your chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker. On top of the chicken dump in the chicken broth, beans (drained), corn, tomatoes, cilantro, zucchini, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and salt in the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning to taste. Serve over spinach or lettuce. Serve with avocado slices on top.
- Dressing as you wish
Zucchini, Tomato, and Feta Frittata
This recipe may be genius! Thank you, The Foodie Corner! A perfect dish for the family or even to impress guests. Easy to make, but feels fancy! The ingredients are based on a 3.5 lt slow cooker so if you have a different size, make sure to think accordingly so that your frittata isn’t too thin.
Slow Cooker Time: 3 hours
- 2 zucchini, medium sized, coarsely grated + 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 Tbs parsley, finely chopped
- 150 gr feta cheese, crumbled
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- few drops of oil for stoneware