I received a great email from a fellow fitness pro, Todd Durkin!
It was about the Super Bowl! Not necessarily the game or the commercials, but what caught my eye was what he said about the POWER OUTAGE. He commented on how it massively shifted the momentum of the game. The 34 minute break in action right after an already long half-time almost sparked the 49ers to victory. He thought we should look at that POWER-OUTAGE as an analogy of life. Sometimes taking a break is what is absolutely necessary to get a major momentum shift. Remembering that sometimes you choose the “power-outage”; and sometimes the “power-outage” chooses you. Either way, a POWER-OUTAGE can lead to a POWER-SURGE.We need to DO SOMETHING to ensure momentum is on our side, though.
Here are a couple quick ways you can take a planned POWER-OUTAGE in your normal routine to seriously REV-UP your results! Remember at Ellipse, we believe that we need to focus on 3 areas of our life for long term success. Exercise (of course), Eating Right (absolutely), and Mindset (belief in the process and belief in your success!).
1. Exercise– Remember these 3 Components of a great workout!
1) A single leg exercise.
2) A push exercise.
3) A pull exercise.
This gives you an unlimited number of exercises…because
there are so many variations of each – some even overlap
for a double whamee, such as the Burpee with Double Pushup.
Try this, do 10 reps per exercise without rest between
exercises, and then rest 30-45 seconds after the circuit
before repeating 2-3 more times.
1) Bulgarian Split Squat
2) Burpee with Double Pushup at Bottom
3) TRX Row (If no equipment, do Jumping Jacks)
That should get you riled up for some bodyweight fat burning.
2. Eat Right – Instead of TAKING AWAY from your diet and worrying about what to cut out. Flip that thought process and try adding something to your daily routine! A protein shake every day complete with a scoop of quick absorbing protein (Ellipse offers an awesome new Vanilla flavor that dissolves GREAT—NO CLUMPS!), a ½ cup of Berries to bump up your anti oxidants and a table spoon of flax seed. (a super food with some GREAT health benefits!)
Flaxseed contains all sorts of healthy components, but it owes its primary healthy reputation to three of them:
• Omega-3 essential fatty acids, “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.
• Lignans, which have both plant estroen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
• Fiber, Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble types.
3. Mindset “Get your head on straight” (my dad has said that to me a few times!)
Please remember NO diet or exercise plan on the market, fully prepares you to deal with the emotional and psychological stress of losing weight. If you want to lose weight, and keep it off permanently, you NEED a to change the way you think about fitness and nutrition.
• Calorie reduction techniques historically have helped people LOSE the weight, however, KEEPING IT OFF is hard to do with the deprivation approach!
• Small changes and giving attention to clean eating and a combination approach of watching your carbohydrate and protein intake will more likely sustain the test of time.
• Consider a coach or accountability partner to help keep you out of the calorie cutting mindset! Sometimes it’s about “Unlearning” bad habits!
Start to think about your vision for your success. How will you build something bigger than yourself? What is the end result that you want to create?
Allow yourself to focus on these 3 things in your life and KNOW that all of your small changes will add up to POWER SURGE!
Dedicated to Your Success,