It’s that time of year again! Go out to a local orchard and pick some fresh apples! Did you know many store-bought apples could have been in cold storage for almost a whole YEAR before they end up in your kitchen?
Fun Apple Facts!
• Apples ripen 6-10 times faster at room temperature than if refrigerated.
• Many store-bought apples could have been in cold storage for almost a year before they end up in your kitchen!
• The ONLY apple native to North America is the crabapple.
• It takes 2 pounds of apples to make a 9-inch apple pie, and about 36 apples to make a gallon of apple cider!
• Did you know? Apples are grown in ALL 50 states!
Why You NEED Apples in Your Life!
• A standard apple contains less than 100 calories and is a good source for fiber and vitamin C!
• Apples help lower cholesterol and the risk of type 2 diabetes, so as the saying goes…”An apple a day keeps the doctor away!”
• Apples are high in polyphenols which act as antioxidants, so they are great for your immune system and heart!
Love Apples, but Tired of Eating Them Plain?
We’ve got you covered! Check out these great, simple recipes to have your apples all kinds of different ways!
– Packed with fresh apples, dried cranberries, nuts and warm spices, these bite-sized snacks are full of protein and will boost your energy to get you through the day! Ready in only 10 minutes!
– This apple butter contains only the natural sugars of the apples, and is made in the Instant Pot in just one hour!
– What I love about this recipe is that it’s just about as easy as it gets– the only ingredients are apples and water, and all you have to do is throw them in a slow cooker…
Want even more great Apple Recipes?? Check out our blog post from last apple season for more!