Toast one slice of Ezekiel Bread. Top with spinach, a few slices of avocado and one hard boiled, poached or scrambled egg. Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash or Frank’s Hot Sauce to spice it up!
Place 4 oz. cod in a baking dish sprayed with olive oil. Surround with sliced red onions, sliced bell peppers, and broccoli. Drizzle with a mixture of a teaspoon of olive oil and a Tablespoon of lemon juice, fresh garlic and oregano (can use dried, but fresh tastes better!). Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cooked through!
Mixed Green Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
1 lb. mixed baby greens (16 cups)
¾ cup pomegranate seeds
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. minced shallot or red onion
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Toss together greens and pomegranate seeds in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together oil, lemon juice, shallot, zest and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Allow dressing to sit for at least 10 minutes
3. Just before serving, whisk dressing, pour over greens and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Makes 8 2 cup servings
Nutrition per serving: 80 calories; 6g fat (0.5g saturated fat); 2g protein; 7g carb; 2g fiber; 0mg sodium
Cheesy Turkey Enchiladas with Tomatillo Salsa and Cilantro
12 oz. shredded turkey
4 9 inch low-carb tortillas
2/3 cup fat-free spicy black bean dip
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 ounce jar tomatillo salsa
1 cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Toast tortillas lightly under a preheated broiler. Keep tortillas warm by covering them with a clean kitchen towel as you go.
3. Stir the black bean dip into the shredded turkey. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Lay the tortillas on a work surface and divide the turkey mixture among them. Fold the sides of the tortillas in over the filling an d roll the tortillas up tightly to encase the filling. Lay them side by side in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
5. Spoon the salsa over the tortillas and sprinkle with the cheese. Back until the cheese is bubbly and the enchiladas are hot throughout, 10-12 minutes.
6. Sprinkle the cilantro over the enchiladas and serve.
Nutrition – 314 calories; 10g fat; 38g protein; 32g carbohydrate; 18g fiber
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 Tbsp. grated orange zest
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup water
1/2 cup Truvia
1. Place cranberries, zest, cinnamon and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir to combine
2. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until berries have popped and compote has thickened, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in sugar substitute to taste.
4. Let compote sit—serve at room temperature.
Makes 8 (3 Tbsp) servings
Per serving: 20 calories; 0g fat; 6g protein; 5g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 0mg sodium
2 Tablespoons Extra-virgin Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Orange Juice
1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar
2 Teaspoons Finely Chopped Shallots
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
2 Cups Cooked Whole-wheat Couscous
1 Cup Chopped Nectarine
1 Cup Mixed Fresh Berries, such as blueberries and raspberries
2 Tablespoons Sliced almonds
Whisk oil, orange juice, vinegar, shallots, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add cooked couscous, nectarines, berries and almonds; gently toss to combine.
Exchanges: 2 Carbs, 1 Fruit, 1 Fat
1 Can Low-Sodium Chunk White Tuna in Water
2 Tbsp. Chopped Onion or Dried Onion Flakes
2 Egg Whites
½ Cup of Panko Japanese Style Bread Crumbs
½ Tsp. Pepper
2 Light Buns (or bread of choice)
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Form into two patties and fry in a pan sprayed with cooking spray for about 4 minutes per side or until cooked as desired. Eat alone or on a toasted bun. (Good options for buns are: Sara Lee De-Light Wheat Buns, Village Hearth Light Buns, Arnold’s Sandwich Thins, or ½ of a Whole Wheat Pita Pocket.)
Exchanges: 3 Extra Lean Protein, 2 Carbs
8 Oz. Water (or ½ cup Fat-free Milk & ½ Cup Water)
1 Scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
1 Tbsp. Natural Peanut Butter
2-3 Ice Cubes
Directions: Place water or milk in blender, then add protein powder & remaining ingredients, and blend.
Exchanges: 4 Extra Lean Protein, 1 Fat, (1 Milk – if used)
1/4 Cup old-fashioned oats
1 Container (6 oz) Yoplait Original 99% Fat Free Apple Crisp Yogurt
1 Teaspoon Chia seed, if desired
Toppings, if desired
1/4 Cup chopped Granny Smith Apple
1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Chopped Walnuts
Directions: In half-pint canning jar (or other re-sealable container), pour oats and yogurt. Top with chia seed; carefully stir to mix thoroughly. Refrigerate about 8 hours. When ready to serve, sprinkle with toppings.
Exchanges: 1 Carb, 1 Milk, 1 Fruit