8 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
5 lbs seedless watermelon, cut into 1″ wedges
1. Place chocolate in heatproof bowl set over simmering water. Stir until melted.
2. Dip watermelon in chocolate and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
3. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt, if desired, and refrigerate.
Makes 25 wedges.
NUTRITION (per wedge) 77 cal, 1g protein, 12g carb, 1g fiber, 10g sugar, 3g fat, 1.5 g sat fat, 3mg sodium
1 frozen multigrain waffle, toasted
1 tablespoon raw almond butter
2 strawberries, sliced
1/2 small banana, sliced
2 teaspoons agave nectar
Spread waffle with almond butter. Top with strawberries and banana; drizzle with agave nectar.
Calories 245; Fat 10.4g; Saturated fat per serving 1.1g; Monounsaturated fat per serving 5.8g; Polyunsaturated fat per serving 2.5g; Protein 7g; Carbohydrates 36g; Fiber per serving 4g; Cholesterol 3mg; Iron 4mg; Sodium 373mg; Calcium
8 ounces hummus, store bought or homemade
1 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 tsp chopped fresh dill
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Pinch kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp red onion, minced
1 cup English cucumber (about ½ large), ½-inch dice
1 cup Roma tomato, seeded, ½-inch dice
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
1. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, garlic, dill, lemon juice, salt and freshly ground pepper. Set aside.
2. In an 8”x8” or 7″ x 11″glass dish, layer the hummus, yogurt mixture, red onion, cucumber, tomatoes, feta and olives. Serve with whole grain pita chips, celery, or cut fresh veggies
Servings: 9 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup • Calories: 93 • Fat: 5 • Carbs: 7 g • Fiber: 1.5 • Protein: 5 g • Sugar: 2 g • Sodium: 202 mg • Cholesterol: 6 mg
2 zucchini, trimmed
1/4 lb. All natural, thin, deli-sliced ham (no nitrates!)
1/4 cantaloupe, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. dried mint
1/8 tsp. each sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Run a vegetable peeler lengthwise along the edge of each zucchini to make long ribbons. Stack ham slices and cut into approximately 1 x 5 inch strips.
2. In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, ham and cantaloupe. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, mint, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over zucchini mixture and toss gently to combine.
NUTRIENTS SERVING (1 cup)
64 calories, 3g fat, 232mg sodium, 5g carbs, 1g fiber, 3.5g sugars, 5g protein, 11mg cholesterol
1 ounce reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 large ripe tomato, ends trimmed and cut crosswise into 4 slices
Freshly ground pepper
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
Combine feta, garlic, oregano, oil and zest in a small bowl.
Place 2 tomato slices on the baking sheet. Top each slice with one-fourth of the feta mixture. Place a second tomato slice on top of each and cover with remaining feta mixture. Sprinkle with a little pepper.
Bake until heated through and feta is lightly golden, 18—20 minutes. Serve hot
Makes 2 servings
Per serving: 70 calories; 4g fat (1.5g sat); 4g protein; 5g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 190mg sodium.
4 cups, shredded green cabbage, packed
4 cups shredded purple cabbage, packed
4 cups stemmed and shredded kale, packed
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp minced jalapeno
1 small clove garlic, grated
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 scallions, sliced (1/3 cup)
1/4 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts roughly chopped (optional)
1. Combine cabbages, kale and carrots in a large bowl.
2. Mix dressing ingredients together in a small bowl
3. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss to combine. Season to taste.
4. Serve topped with scallions and peanuts, if using.
Makes 10 servings. Each serving: 110 calories, 6g. fat (1g saturated), 5g protein, 12g carbs, 4g sugar, 3g fiber, 288mg sodium, 1mg cholesterol
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp sugar
2 (8 oz) pckgs. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup seedless strawberry jam
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
5 drops red food coloring
2 (5.3 oz) containers strawberry Greek yogurt
1 cup fat free whipped cream or whipped topping
For the Crust
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place foil liners in standard size muffin/cupcake pans.
2. Combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press 1 Tbsp of mixture into each liner.
For the Filling
1. Beat cream cheese with cornstarch, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add strawberry jam, vanilla and food coloring. Mix until combined. Add eggs one at a time mixing well. Mix in Greek yogurt.
2. Pour cheesecake mixture over crusts. Fill each liner nearly to the top. Bake for 20 minutes until the edges are set but the center remains wobbly.
3. Cool in pans for one hour. Then place in refrigerator. Chill at least four hours before serving. Top with light whipped cream and strawberries.
Nutritional Information: 213 calories; 24 g carbs; 10g fat; 4.9g protein; 19g sugar
4 lean pork chops
8 Springs of fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse pork chops in water and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Prep your rosemary—simply run your fingers back-wards over the rosemary stems to remove the leaves from the twigs.
3. Place pork chops, rosemary and olive oil in a zip-lock bag , massage ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour or even over night.
4. Grill or broil until done— internal temp 170 degrees.
Nutrition Information (per pork chop)
Calories – 245; Total fat – 13g; Sat. fat—3g;
Cholesterol—76mg; Sodium—359 mg; Carbs—2gm; Fiber 1gm; Sugars—0gm; Protein— 34 gm.
1 bunch asparagus, (about 1 pound), trimmed
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2-3 dashes Asian red chile sauce, such as sriracha (optional)
1 bunch radishes, trimmed and cut into wedges
2 tablespoons finely chopped scallion
1. Fill a medium bowl with ice water and place by the stove. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket.
2. Thinly slice asparagus stalks on the diagonal, leaving the tips whole. Place in the steamer basket and steam until ten-der-crisp, about 1 minute. Transfer the asparagus to the ice water. Drain.
3. Combine vinegar, soy sauce, canola oil, sesame oil, ginger and chile sauce (if using) in a large bowl. Add the asparagus, radishes and scallion; toss to combine. Serve warm or room temperature.
Makes 4 one cup servings Nutritional Info Per serving: 66 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 181 mg sodium; 359 mg potassium.
4 large eggs
4 large egg whites
1 cup nonfat milk
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
5 cups chopped spinach, wilted (see Tip)
4 cups whole-grain bread, crusts removed if desired, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1/2 pound, 4-6 slices)
1 cup diced ham steak, (5 ounces)
1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
3/4 cup shredded Gruyère, or Swiss cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 7-by-11-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
2. Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Add mustard, rosemary and pepper; whisk to combine. Toss spinach, bread, ham and roasted red peppers in a large bowl. Add the egg mixture and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
3. Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Nutrition: Per serving: 286 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 167 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 4 g fiber; 813 mg sodium; 509 mg potassium.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare casserole through Step 2;refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature while the oven preheats. Bake as directed in Step 3.