As this year comes to a close, let’s take some steps towards owning a little more responsibility for what we put in – and ON – our body! We’ve got some extremely easy recipes to replace products many of us pay big bucks for, and even better – they all contain purely natural, safe ingredients!
*Important Note: nearly all these recipes call for you to heat ingredients in a double boiler as opposed to over direct heat in order to avoid burning them!*
Shea butter comes from the seeds of the fruit of the Shea tree and is rich in vitamins A, E, and F. Shea butter has been used in Africa and other countries for years to improve skin and hair, AND it provides a mild SPF of about 6! Give your skin nutrients for collagen production to keep it soft, strong and healthy.
• Melt 1 C shea butter and ½ C coconut oil in a double boiler.
• Cool for ~ 30 minutes.
• Stir in ½ C olive oil or sweet almond oil
(play around with adding your favorite essential oils! For a fluffier effect, blend/whip with a hand mixer.)
Nurturing Lip Scrub
• Mix/Mash 2T sugar, 1 t coconut oil, 1/2 t sweet almond oil or coconut oil
• 1 t vanilla extract, and 1/4 t raw honey.
• Store in a small glass container.
• To use, gently rub on lips and rinse off with a warm washcloth.
Many of our recipes include coconut oil because it works so well, and is solid at room temperature. If you don’t have any coconut oil olive oil can be used in its place but it is not as well researched for being an effective skin moisturizer, and it is a little thinner so you may need to scale back the amount. Also note: if you don’t have any sweet almond oil you can replace with coconut oil and add a dash of almond extract.
Beeswax Hand Lotion
Beeswax is used in lotions and lip balms to create a barrier to hold moisture in the skin and helps thicken the mixtures. It has antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties that also protects from environmental toxins and irritants while still allowing the skin to breathe.
• Melt ¼ C coconut oil, ½ C shea butter, and 2 TBSP. beeswax in a double boiler.
• Optional – Add 30+ drops of your favorite essential oils.
• Pour into container to cool/harden.
Imitation "Burt's Bees" Lip Balm
• Melt 2T Shea Butter, 2 T Beeswax, 2 T coconut oil in a double boiler.
• Add around 30 drops of peppermint.
• Use a dropper to fill lip balm containers or add to a small container and apply with your finger.
As stated above, beeswax contains vitamin A which is thought to help soften and hydrate the skin! The Mayo Clinic even recommends using lip balms with beeswax during the cold winter months to avoid cracking, etc.
Beeswax has been shown to have antibacterial properties which help fight/treat bacterial skin infections like diaper rash for instance. Learn how to make your own salve with beeswax, olive oil, and coconut oil! As you get comfortable making salves, try experimenting with infusing herb bundles to make salves for bug bites, burns, and more!
• Melt 2 Oz Beeswax, 1/2 C coconut oil and 1 C olive oil in a double boiler
• Add 1 TBSP of Vitamin E oil (preserves shelf life as well as adds scar reduction properties!)
• 25 Drops of essential oil such as lavender, frankincense, tea tree, etc
• Pour into containers, will harden as it cools