The oblique crunch with rotation strengthens and stabilizes the core. In this move, the rectus abdominis and spinal erectors work in unison to enable movement in multiple planes. The stability ball allows for a greater range of movement which adds to the effectiveness of the move. The oblique crunch with rotation is a functional movement as it mimics many sports and everyday twisting and turning movements.
1. Begin with one hip on the stability ball and your feet spread wide at the base of a wall (bottom foot forward, top foot back).
2. Then place your fingertips near your ears with your elbows back and bend sideways over the ball.
3. Contract your oblique as you crunch sideways towards the wall.
4. At the top of the movement, rotate your torso so that it faces the wall.
5. Return to the original starting position and repeat. Be sure to work both sides equally.