Are you excited??? It’s FINALLY here – Memorial Day Weekend. The official start of Summer. The great “unveiling” – when the shirts come off, the swimsuits go on and the entire world knows exactly how good or bad our dieting and exercising was for the last 3-4 months!
It’s sort of like Judgment Day!?
Are you ready? 🙂
If not – we have two more BIG weekends this Summer in which to dial in our physique and make a huge difference. That’s right – it’s not over — we still have two more Judgment Days this year!
Athletes peak for National Championships, Trials and World events. Just because we’re training for fat loss or to look better in a bathing suit – doesn’t change the fact that DEADLINES are extremely effective tools.
So we’re going to set two this Summer.
Our next goal is July 4th – only five weeks away.
With a combination of a kick start plan, a solid workout, a nutritional support program and a healthy dose of motivation – we could easily be 10+ lbs leaner by then!
Our next goal is the end of summer – the Labor Day weekend (first weekend in September). This is currently fourteen weeks away. So if you’re looking a little flabby this weekend or feeling a little embarrassed about your body — you can still make amazing changes. It’s never too late!!
This is an opportunity for you (and I!) to look great by Summer’s end.
But we still need to start now.
Here’s the fat loss basics (if you need more info ask an Ellipse weight loss coach!):
1) You need to create a caloric deficit – no two ways about it – you must burn more than you consume. But that doesn’t just mean eat less – you will have to change the foods you eat.
2) The most effective way to create that deficit is to use a combination of diet and exercise
3) Your diet should consist of lean proteins, fruits and vegetables.
Keep starches and refined carbs to a minimum.
Keep your fluid intake high (water only), and try to eat at least 4-5 small meals per day.
This will help maintain blood sugar levels and keep you from blowing your diet.
Follow this plan 90% of the time (which will allow you to have some flexibility on weekends etc)
4) Exercise – interval training and metabolic resistance training will provide the most bang-for-your buck. Steady state aerobic training just doesn’t burn enough calories for your goals right now, and a bodypart training split will be less effective than total body training for fat loss.
5) Try to exercise at least four to six days per week – two to three days of resistance training and two to three days of interval based cardio.
6) Supplements: there is almost nothing that will make a difference. Sorry.
Certain supplements can boost metabolism, or increase your energy somewhat and these may be useful – but in terms of real world “pounds of fat lost” I have yet to see anything that really made a difference. A multivitamin and a fish oil supplement are vital though – but more for your overall health. A protein shake or meal replacement powder can be useful for convenience but are nothing more than high quality food.
Get started now and please post your results on our corporate Facebook page or BLOG!
President and Founder, Ellipse Fitness
PS -All talk of fat loss aside – enjoy your holiday weekend. But PLEASE remember the point of this weekend – remember our fallen heroes and spare a thought for all the troops who are still fighting for us today. My thanks to all of you.